Friday, April 13, 2012

AGAINST FORGETTING


AGAINST FORGETTING  is my autobiographical photo series that I produced in 2010 after revisiting Mount Roskill the Auckland suburb of my childhood. The photobook I made at the time to support this work has long been out of print. I have now produced a second edition, limited to 50 copies, to coincide with a show of the series here in Auckland at the Corban Estate Arts Centre.

The photobook is a 32 page work with 26 photographs in an edition of 50 signed and numbered copies.

I will include a signed and numbered pigment print, of The Snowman image, from an edition of 20, 153 x 115 mm,  with the first 20 copies of  AGAINST FORGETTING sold. 

The Snowman, limited edition print of 20 copies
AGAINST FORGETTING  can be obtained directly from me at: harvey.benge@xtra.co.nz
Prices are, €24 / £20 / US$30 / NZ$36, which include packing and postage. For payment you can simply log on to my PayPal account using my email address above.

Here are some spreads from the book:








While re-looking at my AGAINST FORGETTING work I came across this piece on memory from the American writer Joyce Carol Oates. I really like it.

Memory is our domestic form of time travel.  The invention of photography--in particular, the 'snapshot'--revolutionized human consciousness, for when we claim to "remember" our pasts, we are surely remembering our favorite snapshots, in which the long-faded past is given a distinct visual immortality.  Just as art provides answers long before we understand the questions, so, too, our relationship with our distant past, in particular our relationship with our parents, is a phenomenon we come to realize only by degrees, as we too age, across the mysterious abyss of time.




1 comment:

limited edition photography said...

Not forgetting this time. Keep going