Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Websites - it's not hard to make them easy


My friend and photographer Jessica Hines posted this on FB, lamenting the cost and difficulty of designing and running a website that looks great and is easy to change:

I have a website that I like (http://www.jessicahines.com/) and have had for years but it is getting too expensive now to maintain + I must wait for the person who manages it to make changes. I wish I had the skills to create my own website but as I do not, am looking for an easy and inexpensive (ha) new approach. Any suggestions? I hope I don't make a mistake in switching gears...Thank you!

I replied saying that I'd had this problem too and was kindly pointed in a new direction by a well informed friend who suggested I look at virb.com who provide very easy to use templates. This I have done and haven't looked back. I can now add pages to my site in a matter on minutes. It looks good, is easy to use and is not expensive.

You can see my virb originated site harveybenge.com HERE and virb HERE

Andy Adams of Flak Photo Network has given me this link to a previous discussion on websites. The link lists a number of options including virb. See it HERE


As a post-script to the above I was pleased to see that British photographer, writer, blogger and photo educator Colin Pantall has picked up on this post and has quickly, simply and easily made himself a new website. You can have a look at it HERE and I must say it looks great. And I really like Colin's work too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Harvey - I have a similar problem to Jessica but this looks a really easy and manageable solution!

Harvey's Blog said...

Yes, this option is blindingly simple. For a long time I was stuck with a site the developer said I could change easily but the instructions were so complex that I just couldn't make it work. Now I can add pages in minutes and it looks good too....

Anonymous said...

No kidding - there are a few things I'm not quite sure of, but a few clicks here and there gets things moving. It's just like a big blog - build and click.

Harvey's Blog said...

yes, it's as easy as a blog to make work. A click here and there is just my speed.....

Harvey's Blog said...

Hey Colin, I really like your new site! Have added a post-script to my post. Delighted you were able to make use of my experience!