Saturday, January 19, 2013

FILM CRITICISM is alive and well!


Joaquin Phoenix in the The Master - lobotomized catatonia
I had the misfortune of seeing Paul Thomas Anderson's new movie The Master last night. And what a pretentious, self important pile of rubbish that turned out to be. After the event, I checked the reviews on metacritic. It was great to read Rex Reed from the New York Observer speaking his mind. OMG he really hated that movie and so did I!

I'm posting this because I thought back to my recent post on art criticism and the wasted opportunities in that arena where nothing ever gets criticised any more. Described yes, damned with faint praise yes, glossed over too, but rarely taken apart and dealt to when richly deserved. And there are plenty of opportunities! Art critics need to take a leaf out of the film critics manual. Rex Reed's manual anyway...

Here is Rex Reed's opening salvo from his  brilliantly written review of The Master. You can read the rest of the review HERE.

I never cease to be amused by the pile of unmitigated crap that gets shoveled off onto the moviegoing public by pretentious critics. They’re at it again with The Master, a load of film-festival tripe that was booed in Venice and greeted with massive walkouts in Toronto but is now being defended in an organized rescue mission that hopes to develop a minor cult following in New York before the whole thing mercifully vanishes in a puff of twaddle. With an embarrassing, overwrought performance by the dependably creeped-out Joaquin Phoenix that has to be the most hysterically misguided overacting since Dennis Hopper played Napoleon and Harpo Marx played Sir Isaac Newton in The Story of Mankind, I’m tempted to call it the worst thing I have seen this year, but there are two more coming up—Terrence Malick’s dystopic To the Wonder and a diabolically demented time-travel farce called Cloud Atlas—that are even worse. I will also refrain from labeling The Master “the worst movie I’ve ever seen!” because like the proverbial boy who cried wolf, I’ve blurted that cry of despair so many times, who would believe me?It might not even be the worst movie ever made, depending on how you feel about such hollow, juvenile and superficial trash as I  ♥ Huckabees, Brewster McCloud, Punch-Drunk Love, Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tenenbaums, Lost Highway, Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Rob Zombie’s House of 1000 Corpses and … well, as they said in Hollywood during the McCarthy witch hunts, “the list goes on.”

No comments: